Saturday, February 7, 2009

Shenzen Airlines Branding

During my recent Hong Kong trip (and I might infringe on Pekka's turf in a later post and talk a little about arcades or goldfish) I flew from Taizhou to Guangzhou with Shenzhen Airlines.


I noted they had started a push to promote their carrier / brand in-flight. When looking out the window my eye was drawn to the wingtip. It was painted bright red with a golden Shenzhen Airlines logo on it. I thought it was a clever way to associate looking out of an airplane window with a carrier. Actually, considering the cost of the paint job it's an excellent marketing idea.


They followed the act with a little promotional speech and proceeded to sell little gifts. Passengers could buy scale models of the plane, as well as pieces of jewelry and other such miscellaneous items. Nothing wrong with either, and I'm sure the domestic carriers need to extra profit too.

However, the branding did not go all the way. The in-flight lunch was served like usual, and it included a small wet napkin. This was proudly branded Japan Airlines.

I guess they ran out of napkins branded Shenzhen Airlines and bought a similar product just to fill a routine lunch package. I felt it kind of undermined the whole marketing push.

OP Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment