Monday, February 23, 2009

Repackaged Movies

My local DVD shop has a new strategy. They've began making their own box arts for movies in order to boost sales.

The first example is easily spotted if you know what you are looking for. They add various film festival winner logos on to the regular box art. This results in some fun, if improbable combinations. I'm talking about a "low-budget B-movie about an alien probe fighting marines in the desert winning the Cannes festival" level of obviousness.

The second method is more insidious. They take an old action movie and create a new boxart. Nothing wrong with this, especially since the art guys are pretty good. Last time I was unable to distinquish between the release date and quality of Defence of Firebase Gloria (IMDB) and Hurt Locker (IMDB) because the 80's Vietnam movie got a makeover making it look like a '08 blockbuster.
A second example of this was Red Heat. When I saw the cover I actually had to turn it over and see if Arnold had made a new action movie. He hadn't, but damn if the box wasn't good enough to almost make me buy it.

This could hurt the sales of movies in the long run, but I'm not completely certain the local customers will really care which foreign war movie they picked.

OP Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment