Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Making It Look Easy

One factor for piracy in China is the convenience of it.

Case in point, my iPhone. I have the 3G model, bought right here in Taizhou. Originally the phone came with a third party SIM card modification installed. There was a little chip you could place between your regular SIM and the phone so it would accept any SIM card. This was coupled with a custom piece of software to allow any code on the phone. However, me (or any customer for that matter) wouldn't need to bother about the details.

The shopkeeper had installed everything. He was an authorized Apple retailer, who had the phone ready to go within minutes of the purchase decision. All I needed was my own SIM and I could use any legit software or any copy. The only drawback was the unability to update the software should Apple release a patch.

And release a patch Apple did. The new official software had a couple of functions I wanted, so I returned back to the shop to ask what to do. I had actually researched a bit before, and found out there was a new version of the piggyback SIM solution, as well as a new software solution. The online reports on the software solution were conflictory and I couldn't fathom if it'd work on China Mobile or not. Luckily my retailer did.

He told me the software method was all that was needed now, and that he'd do it for a modest 100 RMB fee within an hour. He had about three other phones going through the process at the moment, but I haggled a bit. The price didn't come down but the time dropped to 30 minutes. I let him do it, and boy did he know how to run an iPhone.

He had three computers all set up with the necessary tools and backups to modify any phone. He jacked in the phone, ran through a few clicks and he actually finishd in 30 minutes. Most of this was spent looking at a loading bar onscreen - the service was quick and smooth. No hassle, no worries. I walked away with a software modified phone with the latest Apple patch installed.

Great service, and the guy even recommended a Chinese media hub website made for the phone, as well as suggested a data plan for my mobile provider in order to drop my charges. This I had already done, but it all adds to the service. Oh, and none of this was in any way under the table or behind closed doors. This was straight up service in the largest computer center of the city.

No, Apple does not have a version of the phone for the Chinese market. Yes, it's quite a popular phone here regardless. A regular customer would have problems installing the hacks at home, but the retailers do all the work.

OP Out.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't China wonderful! Not even on the market yet you can get it with all the bells and whistles. The question is: will it work when you go to your home country???

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Finland, sure. I actually saw a neat compatibility chart online before taking the phone in, and Finnish carriers work. Sonera officially has the iPhone in Finland, but with some hacking it should work on all carriers. Tech wise standard GSM phones work in both countries.

    Oh, the official China Mobile iPhone negotiations ran in to yet another snag. After they cleared the profit sharing negotiations China Mobile is now saying it should operate App Store in China and does not want to give up their dominance of the local mobile phone software market. Score one more for the hackers selling the phone with the App store working.

    ReplyDelete